« VorigeDoorgaan »
impressions on India paper. 2 vols., imperial 8vo, cloth, uncut.
Re-issue of Pickering's edition of 1836.
16. Aristophanes. THE ELEVEN COMEDIES. Now for the first time
One of only 600 copies printed for members of the Athenian
made paper. Fine copy.
-The same in cloth..
20. Autographs. GRATZ (SIMON). A BOOK about Autographs. With numerous illustrations. Royal 8vo, original cloth, gilt top, uncut. Philadelphia, 1920. ..$10.00
21. Aytoun (W. Edmonstoune). LAYS OF THE SCOTTISH CAVALIERS, and other poems. With illustrations by Joseph Noel Paton. 4to, contemporary green morocco, gilt edges. Edinburgh, 1870..$7.50 22. Bacon (Francis). THE WORKS OF FRANCIS BACON, Baron Verulam, Viscount St. Albans and Lord High Chancellor of England. Large-type Edition. With fine portrait engraved by Fittler. 10 vols., 8vo, contemporary polished brown English calf, marbled edges. London, 1826..... .$45.00
23. Bagehot (Walter). THE WORKS AND LIFE OF WALTER Bagehot. Edited by MRS. RUSSELL BARRINGTON. With portrait and other illustrations. 10 vols., 8vo, original cloth, uncut. London, $25.00
24. Balfour (Arthur James). A DEFENCE OF PHILOSOPHIC DOUBT, being an Essay on the Foundations of Belief. 8vo, cloth, uncut. London, 1879 .$16.00
First Edition. Very Scarce.
25. Ballads. ASHTON (JOHN). A CENTURY OF BALLADS. Illustrated in facsimile of the originals. 4to, cloth, leather back, gilt top, uncut. London, 1887. ..$6.00
26. Balzac (Honoré de). EUVRES. Illustrées par Meissonier, Leblanc, Tamissier, etc. 20 vols., 8vo, handsomely bound in maroon half morocco, gilt tops, uncut. Paris, 1842.
Fine set of Balzac's works in the original French, handsomely printed by Calman-Levy. The set includes: Scènes de la Vie Privée; Scènes de la Vie Parisienne; Scènes de la Vie de Provence; Splendeurs et Misères de Courtisanes; Psychologie du Mariage, etc.
-WORKS. (Comédie Humaine.) Translated by ELLEN MAR-
28. Beaconsfield (Earl of). NOVELS AND Tales. With portrait and illustrations on titles. 11 vols., crown 8vo, newly and handsomely bound in polished dark blue half morocco, gilt backs, gilt tops. London, 1900
The Hughenden Edition. Comprises: -Lothair; Sybil; Contarini Fleming; Henrietta Temple; The Young Duke; Venetia ; Tancred; Coningsby; Endymion; Vivian Grey. Fine set.
29. Beaumont and Fletcher. WORKS, collated with all the former editions and corrected with notes, critical and explanatory, by THEOBALD SEWARD SYMPSON. Large-type edition, with fine portraits engraved on copper by Vertue. 10 vols., 8vo, contemporary calf, sprinkled edges. Clean copy. London, 1750.... .$25.00 30. Bentham (Jeremy). WORKS, complete. Published under the superintendence of his executor. The only Complete Edition. 11 vols., 8vo, maroon half morocco, marbled edges. Slightly rubbed. Edinburgh, 1843 .$66.00
31. Benvenuto Cellini. THE LIFE OF BENVENUTO CELLINI, written by himself. Edited and translated by J. A. SYMONDS. With 40 portraits and views illustrating the life. 2 vols., 8vo, newly and handsomely bound in polished half morocco, gilt backs, gilt tops. uncut. New York, n. d............
32. Berry (Miss). EXTRACTS OF THE JOURNALS AND CORRESPONDENCE OF, from the year 1783 to 1852. Edited by LADY THERESa Lewis. With engraved portraits and plates. 3 vols., 8vo, contemporary calf, marbled edges. First Edition. London, 1865... .$12.00 33. Bewick (Thomas). A GENERAL HISTORY OF QUADRUPEDS. With a large number of woodcut illustrations. 8vo, contemporary full calf gilt, sprinkled edges (neatly rebacked). Newcastle-uponTyne, 1791 .$14.00
34. Bibliophile Society Publications. LAMB (CHARLES). THE LETTERS OF CHARLES LAMB. With an introduction by HENRY H. HARPER. Portrait in two states, one on Japanese vellum paper, one on plain paper; title page and illustrations on Japanese vellum paper, also numerous vignettes and full page facsimiles of letters. 4 vols., square 8vo, and 1 vol. folio. Together 5 vols., original half vellum, boards, uncut. Boston, 1905.. .$60.00
Edition limited to 470 copies printed on Dutch hand-made paper, for the members only.
THEOCRITUS. BION. MOSCHUS. [Their] Idylls and Epigrams.
36. Bierce (Ambrose). COLLECTED WORKS. Portrait. 12 vols., 8vo, original gilt cloth. New York and Washington, 1909-1912..$30.00 37. Binding. Bound by the Kelliegram Bindery. GRIMM (J. and W.) HOUSEHOLD STORIES. Translated from the German by LUCY CRANE. Beautifully illustrated by Walter Crane. Crown 8vo, sumptuously bound in polished dark blue full morocco extra, sides with one-line border enclosing a floral design covering the panels, the front cover with a large centerpiece of a girl carrying apples (being the exact reproduction of the illustration in this book on page 213 of the Fairy Tale called "Snow White"), blind tooled and inlaid in seven different colors of morocco, back of cover with a small circle centerpiece enclosing a bird resting on a hatchet, blind tooled and inlaid in various colors of morocco, one raised band on back and floral sprays gold tooled, inside floreated borders, doublures and fly leaves of brown watered silk, gilt edges, back of original cloth cover bound in. London, 1882...... .$85.00 38. Blessington (Countess of). THE LITERARY LIFE AND CORRESPONDENCE OF THE COUNTESS OF BLESSINGTON. Portrait. 3 vols., 8vo, contemporary polished half calf; sprinkled edges. London, 1855
Beautigilt tops, .$21.00 With an
39. Boccaccio. THE DECAMERON. Translated by J. M. RIGG. fully illustrated by Louis Chalon. 2 vols., 8vo, cloth, uncut. London, 1903...... -THE DECAMERON. Translated into English anno 1620. introduction by EDWARD HUTTON. 4 vols., square 8vo, original boards, cloth backs, uncut. London, 1909..
The Tudor Translation, edited by W. E. HENLEY. Very handsomely printed from large type on special paper.
41. Book of Gems. THE MODERN POETS AND ARTISTS OF GREAT BRITAIN. Edited by S. C. HALL. Illustrated with 149 most exquisite engravings on steel by Finden, Maclise, Stothard, Prout and many other eminent Artists. 3 vols., 8vo, newly and handsomely bound
by Ramage in red full morocco, gold tooled centerpieces on sides,
Fine clean copy with brilliant impression of the plates, representing the high water mark of books illustrated by steel engravings.
42. Boswell (James). LIFE OF SAMUEL JOHNSON, including a Journal of his Tour to the Hebrides. With additions and notes by JOHN WILSON CROKER. Portrait. 5 vols., 8vo, contemporary English polished half calf, sprinkled edges. London, 1831.........$30.00 -THE LIFE OF SAMUEL JOHNSON. 3 vols., 8vo, newly and handsomely bound by Sangorski & Sutcliffe in polished half calf extra, gilt tops, uncut. London, 1906.. .$24.00
Macmillan's Library of English Classics Edition, printed from large type.
-THE LIFE OF SAMUEL JOHNSON. A new Edition. 4 vols., 8vo, brown full calf, marbled edges. London, 1820.... .$9.00 45. Botany. PAXTON'S MAGAZINE OF BOTANY, AND REGISTER OF FLOWERING PLANTS. With 700 finely colored plates of the most beautiful flowers and a large number of woodcuts. 16 vols., royal 8vo, newly and uniformly bound in dark green half calf, cloth sides, sprinkled edges. London, 1834-49...... .$100.00
An exceedingly fine set of this beautiful and esteemed work, which is a complete storehouse on every subject connected with Horticulture, containing articles contributed by the most eminent practical horticulturists, gardeners, and amateurs. One of the most valuable and complete works on Botany.
46. Brathwait (Richard). BARNABAE ITINERARIUM, or Barnabee's Journal. With a Life of the Author, a Bibliographical Introduction to the Itinerary, and a Catalogue of his Works. Edited from the first edition by JOSEPH HASLEWOOD. New edition, carefully revised by W. CAREW HAZLITT. With plates. 2 vols., 8vo, boards. London, printed for private circulation, 1876......$60.00 One of only two copies printed on vellum, with signed statement by the printers dated July 5, 1876, to that effect (inserted). Contains also an A. L. S., 2 pp., by Hazlitt dated Feb. 5, 1876 [to the Printers], discussing the publication of this work and asking them to print two copies on vellum. The present copy is from the George Dunn Library of Wooley Hall, with his bookplate. The second copy is the Robert Hoe copy. Only two copies printed. 47. British Essayists. With prefaces, Historical and Biographical, and a general index by CHALMERS. Best Edition. With portraits. 38 vols., 12mo, contemporary half calf, marbled edges. In fine second-hand condition throughout. London, 1823.... .$65.00 Comprises: Tatler, Spectator, Guardian, Adventurer World, Mirror, Rambler, Observer, Looker-on, Connoisseur, etc.
-SHARPE'S EDITION, finely printed by Whittingham. With many
49. British Novelists. MRS. BARBAULD'S EXCELLENT EDITION, com-
This scarce, well-printed and very desirable edition of the British Novelists comprises: Sir Charles Grandison; Clarissa Harlowe; Robinson Crusoe; Joseph_Andrews; Tom Jones; Old English Baron; Castle of Otranto; Pompey the Little; Vicar of Wakefield; Female Quixote; Rasselas; Almoran and Hamlet; Julia Mandeville; Nature and Art; A Simply Story; Man of Feeling; Julia de Roubigne; Humphrey Clinker; Spiritual Quixote; Zeluco; Old Manor House; Evelina; Cecelia; Romance of the Forest; Mysteries of Udolpho; Man as He is Not; Belinda; Griselda.
50. British Poets.
GILFILLAN'S LIBRARY EDITION, with Lives, Critical Dissertations and Notes. 48 vols., 8vo, newly and handsomely bound in polished maroon half morocco, backs with Roger Payne tooling, gilt tops, uncut. Edinburgh, 1853-60... ..$300.00 Comprises: Addison, Beattie, Burns, Butler, Chaucer, Churchill, Cowley, Dryden, Falconer, Gay, Goldsmith, Gray, Johnson, Milton, Moore, Pope, Prior, Savage, Shenstone, Spencer, Swift, Watts, Young, etc., etc.
51. Brown (John). HORAE SUBSECIVAE. A new edition. With fine portrait. 3 vols., crown 8vo, newly and handsomely bound in polished blue half morocco, gilt backs, gilt tops, uncut. Edinburgh, 1882
Fine copy. Inserted is an Autograph Letter by the author, 2 pp., dated Jan. 13, 1872.
-Another set in the original cloth....
53. Browne (Matthew).
CHAUCER'S ENGLAND. With illustrations. 2 vols., 12mo, cloth, uncut. Fine copy uncut and unopened. London, 1869... .$10.50 54. Browne (Sir Thomas). The Works of the Learned Sr. Thomas BROWN, Containing Enquiries into Vulgar and Common Errors, Religio Medici, Hydriotaphia, Miscellany Tracts. Fine portrait by White. Small folio, contemporary calf, neatly rebacked. London, 1686 .$54.00
First Collected Edition. Very fine and large copy.
-WORKS, including his Life and Correspondence, edited by
A fine clean copy of Pickering's Choice Edition.
56. Bronte Sisters (Charlotte, Anne and Emily). WORKS. With portraits and illustrations. 12 vols., 8vo, newly and very elegantly bound by Sangorski and Sutcliffe in polished dark blue full calf gilt extra, wide inside gold borders, gilt tops, uncut. Edinburgh, 1911 .$150.00
The Thornton Edition, printed from large type. Comprises: Jane Eyre, Villette, The Professor, Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Agnes Grey, Wuthering Heights, Shirley; also the Life of Charlotte Bronte by MRS. GASKELL. An exceedingly fine set. 57. Browning (Elizabeth Barrett). POETICAL WORKS. With fine engraved portraits. 5 vols., 12mo, newly bound in polished maroon half morocco, gilt backs, gilt tops, uncut. New York, 1892..$18.00 58. Browning (Robert). POETICAL WORKS. 17 vols., newly and richly bound by Sangorski and Sutcliffe in polished dark blue full calf super extra, the backs richly gold tooled, gold line