« VorigeDoorgaan »
15. Then sweet the hour that brings release from labor and from toil;
We talk the battle over and share the battle's spoil.
16. Has there any old fellow got mixed with the boys? If there has, take him out, without making a noise.
17. All the world I saw or knew
Seemed a complex Chinese toy
18. Oh blithe newcomer! I have heard,
I hear thee and rejoice:
O cuckoo! shall I call thee bird?
19. The holy silence is His voice! I lie and listen, and rejoice.
20. Thou, child of joy,
Shout round me; let me hear thy shouts,
21. A paradise of vaulted bowers, Lit by downward gazing flowers.
22. Till like one in slumber bound,
23. Let the loud trumpet sound,
Till the rocks all around
The shrill echoes rebound.
24. It shouted through the belfrey tower "Awake, O bell! proclaim the hour."
25. Nothing is lost in this world of ours; Honey comes from the idle flowers.
26. Our clocks are the flowers; and they count the hours Till we can mellow in sun and showers.
27. From winding glen, from upland brown,
They poured each hardy tenant down.
28. I have breathed on the South and the chestnut
By the thousands have burst from the forest bowers.
29. Cur hearts, our hopes are all with thee:
Our hearts, our hopes, our prayers, our tears,
Our faith triumphant o'er our fears,
Are all with thee, are all with thee.
ai as in air, 148
b, a voiced consonant, 4
ch, a compound breathed consonant,
consonants, exercises in, 2-111
e: as in end, 116; as in eve, 144
final consonant combinations, 34-36;
pt, ft, bd, md, 34;
vd, thd, nth, mp, vn, dth, 35;
ps, fs, ths, 46;
ts, sts, ns, 47;
bz, vz, thz, 52;
sp, sm, 44;
initial consonant combinations, 40;
fr, thr, 81;
skr, spr, 89
j, a compound voiced consonant, 62
l, a voiced consonant, 66
m, a nasal consonant, 6
n, a nasal consonant, 32; as in bank,
nasal consonants: m, 6; n, 32; ng, 104
o: as in odd, 122; as in orb, 138; as in
oi as in oil, 164
omission of a consonant sound, 76,
r as in oar, 76;
omission of a vowel sound, 119; 158;
e as in towel, 119;
i as in cabin, 119
oo: as in book, 128; as in ooze, 146
p, a breathed consonant, 2
qu, a compound consonant (k + w),
r, a voiced consonant, 72; r as in oar,
s, a breathed consonant, 38; as in
w, wh, f, v, 177-178;
st, sh, ch, j, 186-187;
i as in it, e as in end, a as in at,
o as in odd, u as in up, oo as in
a as in arm, o as in orb, e as in
i as in ice, u as in use, oi as in oil,
sh, a breathed consonant, 54
substitution of one consonant sound
for another, 12-13; 18-19; 24-25;
b for Ρ and Ρ for b, 12;
v for w and w for v, 18;
f for th as in thin, 25;
n for m and m for n, 37;
th as in thin for s and s for th as
s for z and z for 8, 56;
s for sh and sh for
substitution of one vowel sound for
i as in it for e as in end, 118;
u: as in up, 124; as in urn, 150; as in
v, a voiced consonant, 16
words frequently interchanged, 143
x as in extra, a compound breathed
y as in yet, a voiced consonant, 102
zh, a voiced consonant, 58