« VorigeDoorgaan »
1. There is better air here than over there. 2. The fire was on the lower floor. 3. Four shots were fired at the foe. 4. Mrs. Moore will hire Mr. Ayre to shear the sheep. 5. Did your friend sell two touring cars? 6. The tired sower was sure his shoe was in the mire. 7. The mower cut more than four acres of clover.
8. We could hear the roar more distinctly as we drew near the shore.
9. Did the careless driver puncture a tire when he ran into the corner store? 10. "Honor to her! and let a tear
Fall for her sake on Stonewall's bier." 11. “I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth I know not where.''
Addition of a Sound
r as in oar
Do not pronounce an r after these words. Say saw not sawer
Say Emma not Emmer
Ida gnaw banana
Anna draw Arizona
drar a law Augusta
Cina paw Argentina
arena shaw Bermuda
India straw Louisiana Iowa
piano caw Jamaica
puma 1. Papa found a flaw in the umbrella.
2. Henrietta and Georgiana travelled by water from Havana.
3. The llama and puma are found in America.
7. Mamma bought a vanilla soda and a banana for Eva.
8. Colombia, Venezuela, and Argentina are in South America.
9. Emma and Hannah visited Cuba, Java, and the Bermuda Islands.
Substitution of One Sound for Another
r for 1
rah lah, ra la, ree lee, roo loo, roh loh, raw law, ar al, er el, ir il, oor ool, ur ul, or ol
1. Lucy and Rose were paring apples.
2. Last February Uncle Ralph sent Arnold a box of oranges from Florida.
3. Hearing a light step Rob turned and saw Lawrence and Russel. 4. "Row, row, row the boat,
Gently down the stream,
Life is but a dream."
O’er the glassy waves we go.'
1. Did Rose wind the ribbon around the rod ? 2. Walter taught brother Harold to weave. 3. A pretty red rose grew near the walk. 4. The winter wind raged and the waves rolled high. 5. Richard went to the grocer's to buy rice and raisins.
6. Winifred and Rebecca reached Washington on Wednesday at one o'clock.
1. The priest preached in the prison to the prisoners.
2. The printer produced the proof printed on his own press.
3. Priscilla prized the precious present and proceeded to protect it.
4. The professor presented the problem in a precise and proper manner.
5. Please break a branch from the bramble.
6. Is the bric-a-brac on the bracket made of bronze or brass ?
7. Bring bright briar roses for the bride's breakfast table.
8. Brian broke the brown bread and brought it to his brother.
9. Did Broderick bring the broadcloth and braid to the tailor?