« VorigeDoorgaan »
BOHN'S SCHOOL AND COLLEGE SERIES.
1. THE NEW TESTAMENT IN GREEK. Griesbach's text, with the various readings
UNIFORM WITH THE STANDARD LIBRARY,
BARBAULD'S (MRS.) SELECTIONS FROM THE SPECTATOR, TATLER,
BRITISH POETS, from MILTON to KIRKE WHITE, Cabinet Edition, comprising, in a
CARY'S TRANSLATION OF DANTE. Extra cloth. 7s. 6d.
CATTERMOLE'S EVENINGS AT HADDON HALL, 21 exquisite Engravings o
CHILLINGWORTH'S RELIGION OF PROTESTANTS. 3s. 6d.
DICKSON AND MOWBRAY ON POULTRY, Edited by MRS. LOUDON, Illustra
tions by HARVEY, (including the Cochin-China Fowl). 5s.
HORACE'S ODES AND EPODES, translated literally and rhythmically by the Rev.
W. SEWELL. 3s. 6d.
IRVING'S (WASHINGTON) WORKS. Complete in 10 Vols. 17. 15s., or 3s. 6d. per vol.
LAMARTINE'S POETICAL MEDITATIONS AND RELIGIOUS HARMONIES,
LAWRENCE'S LECTURES ON COMPARATIVE ANATOMY, PHYSIOLOGY,
LOWTH'S LECTURES ON THE SACRED POETRY OF THE HEBREWS. 3s. 6d.
Frontispieces on Steel, gilt cloth. 2 Vols., each 5s.
PARKES' ELEMENTARY CHEMISTRY. New Edition, with Woodcuts, 3s. 6d.
The same, on fine paper, with 8 new Illustrations by LEECH and GILBERT,
THE WIDE. WIDE WORLD, by ELIZABETH WETHERELL. Complete in 1 Volume, with Frontispiece, gilt edges, 3s. 6d.
The same. With 9 highly finished Engravings on Steel, 5s..
BOHN'S SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY.
Uniform with the STANDARD LIBRARY, price 5s., excepting those marked otherwise.
1. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S HAND-BOOK, with Diagrams. 2. LECTURES ON PAINTING, by THE ROYAL ACADEMICIANS.
3, 4, 8, & 15. HUMBOLDT'S COSMOS; or, Sketch of a Physical Description of the Universe. Translated, with Notes, by E. C. OTTE. In 4 Vols., with fine Portrait. This Translation (though published at so low a price) is more complete than any other. The Notes are placed beneath the text. Huboldt's analytical summaries, and the passages hitherto suppressed, are included; and comprehensive Indices subjoined. 3s. 6d. per Volume.
5. STAUNTON'S CHESS PLAYER'S COMPANION, comprising a New Treatise on Odds, a Collection of Match Games, Original Problems, &c.
6. HAND-BOOK OF GAMES, by VARIOUS AMATEURS and PROFESSORS.
7. HUMBOLDT'S VIEWS OF NATURE, with coloured view of Chimborazo, §.c.
9. RICHARDSON'S GEOLOGY, AND PALEONTOLOGY, Revised by Dr. WRIGHT, with upwards of 400 Illustrations on Wood.
10. STOCKHARDT'S PRINCIPLES OF CHEMISTRY, Exemplified in Simple Experiments, with upwards of 270 Illustrations.
11. DR. G. A. MANTELL'S PETRIFACTIONS AND THEIR TEACHINGS; A Hand-Book to the Fossils in the British Museum. Beautiful Wood Engravings. 6s. 12. AGASSIZ AND GOULD'S COMPARATIVE PHYSIOLOGY. New and Enlarged Edition, with nearly 400 Illustrations.
13, 19, & 28. HUMBOLDT'S PERSONAL NARRATIVE OF HIS TRAVELS IN AMERICA. With General Index.
14. PYE SMITH'S GEOLOGY AND SCRIPTURE. Fifth Edition, with Memoir. 16 OERSTED'S SOUL IN NATURE, &c. Portrait.
17. STAUNTON'S CHESS TOURNAMENT, with Diagrams.
18 & 20. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. KIRBY on the History, Habits, and Instincts of Animals; Edited by T. RYMER JONES. In 2 Vols. Many Illustrations. 21. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. KIDD On the Adaptation of External Nature to the Physical Condition of Man. 35. 6d.
22. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. WHEWELL'S Astronomy and General Physics, considered with reference to Natural Theology. Portrait of the Earl of Bridgewater. 33. 6d.
23. SCHOUW'S EARTH, PLANTS, AND MAN, and KOBELL'S SKETCHES FROM THE MINERAL KINGDOM, Translated by A. ENFREY, FR.S., &c. 24. BRIDGEWATER TREATISES. CHALMERS on the Adaptation of Externa Nature to the Moral and Intellectual Constitution of Man, with the Author's last Corrections, and Biographical Sketch by the Rev. DR. CUMMING.
25. BACON'S NOVUM ORGANUM AND ADVANCEMENT OF LEARNING. Complete, with Notes, by J. DEVEY, MA.
26 & 27, HUMPHREY'S COIN COLLECTOR'S MANUAL: a popular introduction to the Study of Coins, ancient and modern; with elaborate Indexes, and numerous highly-finished Engravings on Wood and Steel, 2 Vols.
29. COMTE'S PHILOSOPHY OF THE SCIENCES, Edited from the Cours de Philosophic Positive,' by G. II. LEWES, Esq.
30. MANTELL'S (DR.) GEOLOGICAL EXCURSIONS, including THE ISLE OF
WIGHT. New Edition, by T. RUPERT JONES. Woodcuts and Map.
31. HUNT'S POETRY OF SCIENCE; or, Studies of the Physical Phenomena of
Nature. Third Edition, revised and enlarged.
32 & 33. ENNEMOSER'S HISTORY OF MAGIC. Translated from the German by WILLIAM HOWITT. With an Appendix by MARY HOWITT. In 2 Vols. 34, HUNT'S ELEMENTARY PHYSICS. Numerous Woodcuts. 35. HANDBOOK OF DOMESTIC MEDICINE, by an eminent Physician (700 pages). 36. STANLEY'S CLASSIFIED SYNOPSIS of Dutch, Flemish, and German Painters.
BOHN'S ILLUSTRATED LIBRARY.
24. CHINA: PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, AND HISTORICAL, with some account of Ava and the Burmese, Siam and Assam. Illustrated by 100 Wood Engravings. 25. PICTORIAL HANDBOOK OF LONDON. With 205 Engravings and large Map. 26. MARY HOWITT'S PICTORIAL CALENDAR OF THE SEASONS. Upwards of 100 Illustrations.
27. DANTE, translated into English Verse by I. C. WRIGHT, M.A. Third Edition, carefully revised. Portrait, and 34 Illustrations on Steel, after FLAXMAN. 28 & 29. MUDIE'S BRITISH BIRDS. 2 Vols., with 52 figures of Birds, and 7 of Eggs. (Or, with the Plates Coloured, 7s. 6d. per Vol.)
30 TASSO'S JERUSALEM DELIVERED, translated into English Verse, by J. H.
WIFFEN. 4th Edition. 24 Engravings on Wood, and 8 on Steel.
31. INDIA: PICTORIAL, DESCRIPTIVE, AND HISTORICAL, from the Earliest
Times to the Present. Map and upwards of 100 Engravings on Wood.
32. NICOLINI'S HISTORY OF THE JESUITS. Portraits of Loyola, Lainez, Xavier,
Borgia, Acquaviva, Pere la Chaise, Ricci, and Pope Ganganelli.
33. ROBINSON CRUSOE, with Illustrations by STOTHARD and HARVRY, 12 beautiful Engravings on Steel, and 74 an Wood.
34. WALKER'S MANLY EXERCISES; containing Skating, Riding, Driving, Shooting, Sailing, Rowing, Swimming, &c. Tenth Edition, revised, with numerous Plates. 35. MILLER'S HISTORY OF THE ANGLO-SAXONS, on the basis of SHARON TURNER. Portrait of Alfred, Map, and 12 Engravings on Steel after Harvey. 36. MICHAEL ANGELO AND RAPHAEL. By DUPPA and QUATREMERE DE
QUINCY. With 13 highly-finished Engravings, including the Cartoons.
37. WALTON'S COMPLETE ANGLER; with otes, practical and historical. Edited by ED. JESSE and HENRY G. BOHN. Embellished with 203 Engravings on Wood, price 5s.;-or with the addition of 26 Engravings on Steel, 7s. 6d. 38. MARRYAT'S MASTERMAN READY; with 93 Engravings on Wood. 39. TALES OF THE GENII. With numerous Wood cuts and 12 Steel Engravings. 40. GUIDE TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF POTTERY AND PORCELAIN; comprising the BERNAL CATALOGUE, with Prices and Names; an Introductory Essay, and a List of all the known Marks and Monograms. By H. G. BOHN. 41. THE LIFE OF ALEXANDER POPE, including many of his Letters. By ROBERT
CARRUTHERS. Revised and considerably enlarged; numerous Wood Engravings. 12. POPE'S HOMER'S ILIAD. With Flaxman's Designs, and Introduction and Notes, by the Rev. J. S. WATSON, M.A.
43. BONOMI'S NINEVEH AND ITS PALACES. New Edition, including an Account of the Assyrian Sculptures recently added to the British Museum. 300 Engravings. 44. POPE'S HOMER'S ODYSSEY. With the Battle of Frogs and Mice, Hymns, &c.,
by other Translators, including CHAPMAN. With Flaxman's Designs.
45 & 50. POPE'S POETICAL WORKS, edited by ROBERT CARRUTHERS. New
Edition, revised. With numerous Engravings on Wood. In 2 volumes. 46. STUART AND REVETT'S ATHENS and other MONUMENTS OF GREECE.
71 Plates and numerous Woodcut Capitals. To which is added a Glossary. 47. LINDSAY'S (LORD) LETTERS ON EGYPT AND THE HOLY LAND. Fifth Edition, with additions, and 36 Wood Engravings and Maps.
48 & 52. ARIOSTO'S ORLANDO FURIOSO, in English Verse, by W. S. ROSE. With Portrait and 12 fine Engravings on Steel. Complete in 2 vols. 49. KRUMMACHER'S PARABLES. 40 Illustrations by CLAYTON and DALZIEL. 51. LEIGH HUNT'S BOOK FOR A CORNER, 80 Wood Engravings.
53. HOLBEIN'S DANCE OF DEATH, AND BIBLE CUTS; upwards of 150 subjects beautifully engraved on wood in facsimile. With Descriptions by FRANCIS DOUCE, F.S. A., and THOMAS FROGNALL DIBDIN. 2 vols. in l. 7s. 6d.
54. JESSE'S ANECDOTES OF DOGS, with Additions and Woodcuts 5s-Or, with the addition of 34 steel Engravings, 7s. 6d.
55. STARLING'S (MISS) NOBLE DEEDS OF WOMAN. 14 steel Engravings. 56. BUTLER'S HUDIBRAS, with variorum notes. Edited by HENRY G. BOHN. 30 woodcuts, 5s.-Or, with 62 Portraits. Bound in 2 vols. 10s.
57. THE YOUNG SPORTSMAN'S MANUAL; OR RECREATIONS SHOOTING. By CRAVEN. With 62 Illustrations on Wood, and 9 on Steel. 58. PETRARCH'S SONNETS, TRIUMPHS, and other POEMS. With a Life by THOMAS CAMPBELL. 16 Engravings on steel.
59. THE YOUNG LADY'S BOOK: a Manual of Elegant Recreations, Arts, Sciences, and Accomplishments, completed to the present time, and edited by distinguished Professors. With 1200 woodcuts, and several fine engravings on steel. 7s. 6d. 60. PARIS AND ITS ENVIRONS, including Versailles, St, Cloud, and the Champagne Districts. By THOMAS FORESTER. With 28 engravings on steel.
AN ACCOUNT OF RARE, CURIOUS, AND USEFUL BOOKS, PUBLISHED
WILLIAM THOMAS LOWNDES.
NEW EDITION, REVISED, CORRECTED AND ENLARGED
SARTIKLA AND VISTARE MOUNTA
Η ΣΟΦΙΑΣ ΠΗΓΗ ΔΙΑ ΒΙΒΛΙΩΝ PEEL
HENRY G. BOHN, YORK STREET, COVENT GARDEN.