2d. Messrs Brander, M'Leod, Grant, Blakiston, Lewis, Tattnall, Hall, and Meek, midshipmen of the royal navy, arrived in London on Tuesday last, having effected their escape from the prison of Givet, in France, after nearly four years' im. prisonment in that country. On their way towards the coast they picked up and brought with them a poor British seaman with a wooden leg, who effected his escape from the prison of Arras.

3d.-Monday night, about eleven o'clock, a dreadful fire broke out in the premises of Mr Pocock, a coal and timber merchant, at Whitefriars Wharf, between Blackfriars Bridge and the Temple. The whole of these extensive premises were soon in flames, and continued burning until the whole of their valuable contents, consisting of immense piles of coals and timber, were entirely consumed. The extensive range of stabling, belonging to Mr Pocock, and several valuable horses also, shared the same fate. The greatest apprehensions were entertained for the houses which surround the


timber-yard, but they escaped destruction, though not without considerable damage. The great heat which this immense body of fire threw out, prevented the engines from approaching near enough to produce any effect. The blaze of light which issued from the conflagration illuminated the metropolis, and created so much alarm as to crowd almost all the streets with people, who fancied the next house to their's was in flames. The damage done is estimated at several thousand pounds. Some apprehensions were entertained for the Grand Junction Canal store-house; and, even in the Inner Temple, seve ral engines were brought down to the bottom of King's Bench Walk, under the idea that the fire might possibly extend to that quarter.

UNION-HALL.-A person who lives in Bermondsey-street, attended at the office, and stated, that in the house where he lodged, he had reason to believe there were a parcel of human bones concealed in the cellar, and that, in fact, his wife had seen a hand, the fingers of which still retained some of their flesh, although in a mouldering state. Upon this in


formation, the magistrates directed Mr May to go to the house and search the premises. He accordingly went down, attended by one of the officers; and on their arrival there, and questioning the wife of the informant, who had seen the bones, the story began to assume a complexion similar to that of the three black crows; for she informed the officers that she had not seen them herself, but had been told there were such in a dark cellar under the house, by one who had seen them. The officers accordingly proceeded to search the cellar pointed out to them, which they found in a very ruinous state, with several open spaces communicating with the street; in one corner of the cellar they also discovered a parcel of bones of differ ent animals, which seemed to have been collected together by some dog. A melancholy instance of the effects of fright occured in Salisbury square, on Monday night, in consequence of the fire. A woman, who appeared very much agitated, sat down at the door of Mr Jones; upon inquiry into the cause, it was understood from her, that her daughter was missing in the dreadful fire that took place in Water-lane. She was invited into the house, but having resisted repeated solicitations, the door was shut. A short time after, one of the servants opened the door, and discovered the unfortunate person dead on the steps. It afterwards proved, that no accident had happened to the daughter.

A gentleman in the county of Tipperary has, as an object of curiosity as well as pleasure, undertaken to establish in his park a colony of beavers. He has planted plenty of birch, aspen, ash, willow, sallow, osier, alder, &c. round the ponds, and is about

to procure several pair of beavers to turn in.

5th.-It appears from an annual return, that in the metropolis alone there were no less than 293 fires during the last year, exclusive of chimnies set on fire.

A coroner's inquest sat on the body of Richard Watson yesterday, at a public-house in Mount-street, and the verdict was, that he died of want. It appeared in evidence, that this poor wretch was taken up as a thief in a garden at Chelsea, and removed to St George's watch-house, where he died.

9th.- A melancholy instance of the fatal effects of inordinate passion took place on Wednesday night at a house in Leicester-fields. A young lady, 17 years of age, a native of Paris, but who had received her education in England, and who is described as a most beautiful, elegant, and accomplished creature, put an end to her existence by poison in the phrenzy of unrequited love. She had resided for above two months at the house of a lady in St Martin's-street, and had become so deeply enamoured of a British officer, that the idea of being slighted distracted her understanding, and she took an immense dose of opium. The desperate act was discovered too late for remedy. Every effort was made to save her, but in vain. She died at seven o'clock on Thursday morning.

The Persian ambassador yesterday paid a visit to the Bank; his excelfency was attended by Sir Gore Ouseley and Mr Morier. On alighting from his carriage, he was received at the entrance in Prince's-street by the governor and directors, and escorted through the hall, which was covered with a superb carpet, to the interior.

The Bank volunteers were drawn up in the court, and saluted his excellency as he passed, their band performing martial music. His excellency was conducted through the various offices by the governor and directors, followed by a numerous train of ladies and gentlemen. The procession was preceded by six beadles of the Bank, with their silver-mounted staves, in their proper costume. The two city marshals, with a number of peace officers, attended to keep order, and prevent the obtrusion of the crowd, who gained admittance, and nearly choked up the passages. The whole routine of the Bank business in the various offices was explained to his excellency as he passed, with which he seemed highly gratified.

About two his excellency, with his suite, entered the great parlour, where refreshments were prepared for them in a very superb stile. During this entertainment the band continued playing in the court-yard, to which his excellency seemed to attend with great pleasure; and at near four he took his departure, expressing his high satisfaction at the polite hospitality he had experienced.

Thursday, Prince Stahremberg, accompanied by his two secretaries, Messrs Provost and Agneau, had a conference with the Marquis Wellesley and the Chancellor of the Exchequer, at the Foreign Office.

GUILDHALL.A grey-headed, though not a very venerable Hibernian, named O'Keane, was yesterday charged by a grocer, of Whitecrossstreet, with riotous conduct, breaking his window, and drawing out a knife, which he flourished in defiance, and threatened vengeance to any one who should dare to touch him.

The defendant (whether a Caravat or a Shanevest, did not appear,) was

asked by the alderman how long he had been in this country, and by what ship he came ? He answered, "In no ship at all, at-all, for it was only a sloop. He came on board as a drover, with some fat baists which he had engaged to drive from Dublin to Chester for five shillings; and when he got so far as Chester, he thought it a pity to go home without seeing his friends in England; and he just took a little walk up to London to find them out. He went to see his double gossip, who is a drayman at a brew-house in Whitecross-street, where he took a few quarts of beer too much, and while the sup was in his head, he did not know what happened; but the devil a harm he meant to any body, for he was too good natured." The fact was, he had into the shop of the grocer, and called for a dram of whisky; and an arch lad in the shop told him they sold no liquor there but aqua fortis. Mr O'Kane then insisted on having a dram of that same, and added, If it was aqua fortis, he had the money in his pocket to pay for it. No persuasion could get him out quietly. The shopman was obliged to proceed to a forcible expulsion; upon which the enraged Melesian drew forth his scalping knife, thrust it through a pane of the window, and flourished it in defiance at his assailants; upon which he was taken into custody by a bevy of constables.


[blocks in formation]

these. Early in October last, Mr Sade was walking along the flagged way in Great Mary-le-bone street, followed by two little French dogs. One of them happening to stray, and getting under the wheels of the coach, his master beckoned to the little favourite; which immediately obeyed the signal, and ran to him. The defendant, mistaking the beck for a signal to call his coach, immediately drove up, and asked Mr Sade where his ho

nour would be driven. Mr Sade answered he wanted no coach, and said he had not called the defendant, but had merely beckoned to his little dog. The defendant instantly changed his tone to the most vehement and scurrilous abuse-swore the defendant had called him, and said he would be d-d but he would have a shilling fare out of his by carcase. All remonstrances, on the part of Mr Sade were in vain. To avoid further altercation, he walked away; but the defendant drove after him towards Cavendish-square, where he dismount ed from his box, seized Mr Sade by the throat, rammed his fist into his face, and swore he would not quit him until he paid the fare. Mr Sade refused; but told him his address in Northumberland-street. This, how ever, could not appease the defendant; who, in the usual insolence of his brethern of the whip, proposed to fight Mr Sade, and boasted his superior prowess to any pugilist in Mary-lebone. He was proceeding to illustrate his profession of skill upon the prosecutor; but was interrupted by the manly and spirited conduct of a stranger passing by at the moment, who, witnessing the daring insolence of the defendant seized him by the arm, and told him, although he might be the champion of Mary-le-bone, he must either desist from his ill usage to the

gentleman, or turn out and fight him.


The defendant thus unexpectedly meeting with his match, thought proper to desist from personal violence to Mr Sade, but nevertheless followed him to a shop in Oxford-street, where he took refuge, still continuing his abusive language, and finding this useless thought fit at last to depart.

Mr Sade, remembering the number of the coach, applied next morning to Bow-street, in consequence of which the defendant was taken into custody, and held to bail for trial.

The jury found the defendant Guilty, and the court, after giving him a severe lecture, sentenced him to a fine of 201. and one month's imprisonment in the house of correction.

On Saturday, two women, genteelly dressed, went to a linen-draper's shop near Covent-garden, and purchased goods to the amount of 501. The women left the shop, desiring the goods to be sent to Adam-street, Adelphi. The shopman having made out a bill of parcels, procured a porter, who took the goods as directed. He saw the women; they desired him to unpack the goods that they might see if they were right, which he accordingly did; they then asked for a bill and receipt, which he produced. They told him if he stepped into the counting-house, he would receive the money; one of them opened a door to shew him into the counting-house. As soon as he had passed, he observed the door was shut after him with some degree of violence, and he was confident the key was turned this rather alarmed him; he proceed ed to an adjoining room, where he found a man, to whom he told his business. The man asked him respecting the amount of the bill, and then tendered him two bills, one of which, he said, was his master's ac

ceptance, therefore presumed he could have no objection to taking it. The shopman refused taking them, and said, he sold the goods for money, which he expected to receive, or he would take the goods again. The man told him, he should not have either money or goods, and if he did not take the bills, he would not have any thing. The shopman endeavoured to return by the door the women let him through, but found that fast against him, and the man turned him out of the pretended counting-house, into the street, by another way. On inquiry being made at the house, in the evening, for the parties, the old lady who keeps the house said, the two women and the man had only lodged in her house a few days, and had left that afternoon, and taken the goods with them. On Saturday, the fraternity of pickpockets were on the alert in every quarter. There were at least fifty of them parading the principal streets in the city in the evening, and robbing the innocent and unsuspecting crowds, who were gazing at the twelfth cakes, and the decorations of the pastry cooks' shops. Tit Shields, who has lately returned from transportation, headed a gang in Fleetstreet; Bill Wood and Bob Barney headed a gang in St Paul's Church-yard; and Alexander Dow and Harry Woodford led another in Cheapside and the Poultry. At the pastry-cook's at the end of the Poultry, Joe Hough, a stout fellow, pretended to be lame, and walked so as to interrupt the progress of the passengers, and by this means they hustled the unsuspecting at their ease.

10th. On the night between Friday and Saturday last, a most daring robbery was committed in the shop of Messrs Coward and Co. silversmiths,

&c. in Cornhill. The thieves, by means of instruments, completed a breach through the window shutters sufficient to admit a hand, in spite of the difficulties which presented themselves. The shutters were lined with iron-plate, which of itself was deemed a sufficient security; but to such a pitch of perfection have the burglars brought the instruments of their calling, that human precaution cannot guard against them. By introducing their hands, and forcing a wire-case, they obtained, in watches, silver articles, and light gold, plunder to the amount of 4001. The gang consisted of several persons, who employed themselves in pacing the street backwards and forwards; not only by way of guarding against a surprise, but also to make a noise to prevent the instruments at work upon the shutters being heard. At times, when they were occasionally disturbed, the hole they had perforated was covered by a sheet of paper painted the colour of the shutters; so that there appeared nothing striking to attract the notice of the passengers. During the several hours the robbers were thus employed, no watchman was heard, which is but too common a case under similar circumstances. The villains were once observed by a person going to Covent-Garden market, and who knew part of the gang to be house-breakers, particularly a cripple and a drover; but, as he afterwards explained, it was as much as his life was worth to interrupt or even to let it be supposed he knew them. This man came forward next day, and gave information on the business. It has been since ascertained, that a gang of forty thieves of this description meet nightly at a house in the vicinity of Shire-lane, where they plan their nocturnal depredations. Since

« VorigeDoorgaan »