fltilla, for nine days before any of the gun-boats under Captain Sir Home Popham were moved up the Scheldt to his support."

One of the attacks to which the noble lord alludes took place on the fifth of August, when the enemy came down with about twenty-eight gun-vessels, and kept up a smart cannonade for some hours, but were forced to retire by the guns from the fort.

The unfortunate issue of this expedition is too well known to need relation here.

In 1810, Sir John Hope was employed in Spain; and in consequence of his gallantry and exertions in the various victories obtained over the enemy in that country, he was one of the officers selected by His Majesty to receive and wear the medal issued on the 9th of September in that year.

His next appointment was that of commander-in-chief in Ireland, where he remained a considerable time.

In 1813 he again joined the Duke of Wellington in the Peninsula, and became second in command. At the battle of Nivelle, on the 10th of November of that year, Sir John Hope headed the left wing of the army, drove in the enemy's outposts in front of their intrenchments on the Lower Nivelle, carried the redoubt above Orogne, and established himself on the heights immediately opposite Sibour, in readiness to take advantage of any movement made by the enemy's right. In the night, the enemy quitted all their works and positions in front of St. Jean de Luz, and retired upon Bidart, destroying all the bridges on the Lower Nivelle. Sir John Hope followed them with the left of the army, as soon as he could cross the river, On the night of the 11th the enemy again retired, into an entrenched camp in front of Bayonne. On the 9th of December, Sir John Hope, with the left of the army under his command, moved forward by the great road from St. Jean de Luz towards Bayonne, and reconnoitred the right of the intrenched camp of the enemy under Bayonne, and the course of the Adour below the town, after driving in the enemy's posts from the neighbourhood of Biaritz and Anglet. In the even

ing he retired to the ground he had before occupied. On the 10th, in the morning, the enemy moved out of the intrenched camp, with nearly their whole army, drove in the picquets of the light division, and of Sir John Hope's corps, and made a most desperate attack on his advanced posts, on the high road from Bayonne to St. Jean de Luz, near the mayor's house of Biaritz. This attack was repulsed in the most gallant style by our troops, who took about five hundred prisoners. In his dispatches, dated December 14th, 1813, the Duke of Wellington, speaking of this brilliant affair, says:

"I cannot sufficiently applaud the ability, coolness, and judgment of Lieutenant-General Sir John Hope, who, with the general and staff officers under his command, showed the troops an example of gallantry, which must have tended to produce the favourable result of the day. Sir John Hope received a very severe contusion, which, however, I am happy has not deprived me for a moment of the benefit of his assistance."

to say,

During the night of the 10th of December, the enemy retired from Sir John Hope's front, leaving small posts, which were immediately driven in. They still occupied, in force, a bridge on which the picquets of the light division had stood; and it was obvious that the whole of their army was still in front of our left. About three in the afternoon of the 11th, they again drove in Sir John Hope's picquets, and attacked his posts; but were again repulsed with considerable loss. The attack was recommenced on the morning of the 12th, with the same want of success; and the enemy finally discontinued their desperate effort in the afternoon of that day, and in the night retired entirely within their intrenched camp.

On the 23d of February, 1814, Sir John Hope, in concert with Rear-Admiral Penrose, availed himself of an opportunity which offered to cross the Adour below Bayonne, and to take possession of both banks of the river at its mouth. The vessels destined to form the bridge could not get in till the 24th, when the difficult, and, at that season of the year, dangerous operation of bringing them in was effected with a degree of

gallantry and skill seldom equalled. The enemy, conceiving that the means of crossing the river which Sir John Hope had at his command, namely, rafts made of pontoons, had not enabled him to cross a large force in the course of the 23d, attacked the corps which he had sent over that evening. The corps consisted of six hundred men of the second brigade of guards, under the command of Major-General the Honourable Edward Stopford, who repulsed the enemy immediately. On the 25th Sir John Hope invested the citadel of Bayonne ; and on the 27th, the bridge having been completed, he thought it expedient to invest it still more closely. He, also attacked the village of St. Etienne, which he carried, taking a gun and some prisoners from the enemy.

On the 14th of April, and, which rendered the occurrence still more mortifying, after intelligence had reached the army of the downfall of Napoleon, and the restoration of the house of Bourbon, in a sortie made by the French from Bayonne, Sir John Hope, bringing up some troops from the right to support the picquets of the centre, which had been driven in, came suddenly in the dark upon a party of the enemy: he was very severely wounded; and his horse being shot dead, fell upon him, so that he could not disengage himself from under it, and he was unfortunately made prisoner. His wounds were in the arm and the thigh, and crippled him for a long time. The Duke of Wellington, in noticing this transaction in his dispatches, expressed his regret, "that the satisfaction generally felt by the army upon the prospect of the honourable termination of their labours, should be clouded by the misfortunes and sufferings of an officer so highly esteemed and respected by all."

On the 3d of May, 1814, Sir John Hope was created a peer of the United Kingdom, by the title of Baron Niddry of Niddry, in the county of Linlithgow. In the month of June, the Chancellor of the Exchequer moved grants to several of the gallant Generals who had distinguished themselves during the war; but Lord Niddry declined accepting any pecuniary recompence for his services.

On the 2d of January, 1815, Lord Niddry was made a Knight Grand Cross of the military order of the Bath. His half-brother, James, third Earl of Hopetoun, dying on the 29th of May, 1816, Lord Niddry succeeded to the family titles. On the 12th of August, 1819, he received the brevet of General.

When His Majesty was in Scotland, the Earl of Hopetoun was one of the few individuals who received the distinction of a royal visit.

Unhappily, His Lordship did not long enjoy his numerous honours, acquired and hereditary. He died at Paris, on the 27th of August, 1823, aged 57.

The remains of this gallant and much lamented nobleman having been brought from France in His Majesty's sloop Brisk, were interred in the family vault at Abercorn, on the 1st of October, as privately as circumstances would permit.

As a soldier, the Earl of Hopetoun was cool, brave, and determined; and his conduct as a nobleman, a landlord, and a friend, was always such as became his high station. By his numerous family and relatives his loss is deeply lamented; and indeed few men of his rank have been more sincerely regretted by all classes of the public.

The Earl of Hopetoun was twice married. On the 17th of August, 1798, he married, at Lea Castle, in the county of Worcester, his cousin Elizabeth, youngest daughter of the Hon. Charles Hope Weir, of Craigie Hall, and Blackwood; but by her, who died March 20th, 1801, he had no issue. On the 9th of Feb. 1803, at Ballindean, he married Louisa Dorothea, third daughter of Sir John Wedderburn, of Ballindean, in the county of Perth, Bart., (by his second wife Alicia, daughter of Col. James Dundas, of Dundas,) by whom he had issue John, now Earl of Hopetoun, born Nov. 15th, 1803, eight other sons, and two daughters.


No. XV.



ALIKE distinguished as a physician, and amiable as a man, the late Dr. Baillie ran a career of honour and profit which falls to the lot of few. Acknowledged by the public, and by his brethren, as the undisputed head of the medical profession, he has left a blank, which we can scarcely hope soon to see adequately filled.

He was born Oct. 27th, 1761, in the manse of Tholy, near Hamilton, in Scotland. His father was the Rev. James Baillie, D.D. (a supposed descendant of the family of Baillie of Jerviswood,) some time minister of the kirk of Shotts, (one of the most barren and wild parts of the low country of Scotland,) and afterwards professor of divinity in the university of Glasgow. His mother was Dorothea, daughter of Mr. John Hunter, of Kilbride, in the county of Lanark, (a descendant of the family of Hunter of Hunterstown,) and sister of the two celebrated anatomists Dr. William and Mr. John Hunter.

In the earlier part of his life, Dr. Baillie enjoyed considerable advantages; indeed he was in the whole of it peculiarly happy. Having received the rudiments of knowledge under his father's immediate superintendence, in 1773, when in his 13th year, he began his college-education at the university of Glasgow, where he distinguished himself. In 1779, having been appointed to an exhibition, he went to Baliol College, Oxford, on the same foundation on which Adam Smith and

« VorigeDoorgaan »