them, after which they went away together. During the evening the deceased pulled out his purse several times. It was a silk net purse, with steel sides and tassels, and there appeared to be from 12s. to 15s. in silver in it. I had seen the purse before. I never saw Johnson in his company before that evening. Cooper did not come in till about 10 at night. The deceased showed a great number of pockets in his clothes. When he showed them, some one said, "what a number of pockets you have;" but it was not Cooper.

[ocr errors]


Joseph Matthews, pot-boy to the last witness. I first saw Johnson in the tap-room with the deceased, about 7 o'clock on the evening of the 19th of December. Charles Jackson came in next. They had some drink. Jackson asked if any one would play at dominoes, and the deceased said he would. deceased asked Johnson to play. Johnson said, he had no money, and could not play. The deceased said, never mind that; if you lose, I will pay for you.” The deceased gave Johnson some halfpence. In about 20 minutes my master called me away, when Richard Wagstaffe, who had come in, took my place at the dominoes. In a quarter of an hour I returned and found them playing; that was before 8 o'clock. At 9 o'clock I again went in, and they had finished playing. William Taylor was there, and they renewed the game, after having had some beer, Taylor taking Johnson's place. A little before 10 o'clock I took away the dominoes. John Wager was then in the taproom, as was also Fare. Cooper was there, but I cannot tell at what time he came in. Cooper had an old lamp when he came in. They stayed about half an hour after my mas

ter went to bed. Before they went the deceased said, they would have half-a-pint of gin, and it was given them. The deceased pulled out his purse several times during the evening. It was about ten minutes past 11 when they went away. Wagstaffe, Cooper, Johnson, Fare, and the deceased went away together. When the deceased went out he staggered about, and Mrs. Perry gave me orders to see him past the river. I led him over the bridge, and then asked Fare "to be so good as to see the young gentleman home." Fare said, he would. Fare took hold of his left arm, and Cooper of his right. Johnson and Wagstaffe were behind. The deceased was the last of the party who went out of the door. Wagstaffe's house was about 100 yards from the public-house, on the road the deceased had to go.

Richard Wagstaffe, a baker at Enfield-chase-side.-On the night of the 19th of December I was at the Crown and Horseshoes playing at dominoes with the prisoners and deceased. We left at a little after 11 o'clock. When the deceased was in the house he appeared sober, but when he went out he staggered, and the potboy called out, "Jack and Sam (meaning Cooper and Fare), for God's sake see him safe home, for he is so drunk he had like to be in the river." When I got over the bridge I saw Johnson and Fare apparently leading the deceased homewards, and Cooper was standing at the corner of the bridge. Cooper then went with them. I walked with them as far as my own house, which was on the way to Mr. Addington's. Johnson and Cooper were then by the side of the deceased, and Fare about six yards in advance. I went in and saw no

more of them that night. I advised Cooper to have nothing to do with the others, as they would probably rob the deceased. Cooper said, he would go with the deceased. I was tried in this court two years ago, but was acquitted.

John Cooper, an approver.-I am 18 years of age. On Wednesday evening, the 19th of December, I went to the Crown and Horseshoes, at ten minutes past 10 o'clock. I found in the tap-room Charles Jackson, Richard Wagstaffe, the deceased, and the two prisoners. They were sitting at a table drinking. I stayed there till a quarter past 11, when the landlady ordered us all out, as it was time to shut the house up. I did not observe how the deceased walked when he got out. Johnson and Fare helped him over the bridge, and Matthews came out and asked some one to lead him home. I know Wagstaffe's house, about 100 yards from the public house. Johnson, Fare, and the deceased walked first. Wagstaffe and I followed. I had a candlestick like a lamp, but no light in it. I walked four or five yards behind Johnson, Fare, and deceased. When we came as far as Wagstaffe's house, he (Wagstaffe) went in. He previously said to me, "Jack, you had better go home.' I said to him, "I shall not go." Danby was not sober. Sheffield's house was about 20 yards from Wagstaffe's house. We went on a little way, and near Sheffield's house Johnson, Fare, and the deceased, were shoving one another about, and Fare fell down. I was then about four yards from them, and could not distinguish whether anything was taken from the deceased. Fare got up, and went away somewhere. I did not ob

[ocr errors]

serve where he went to. The deceased was then with Johnson. The deceased then got hold of my arm and asked me to lead him home. Johnson had hold of the other side of him. We three went on together. Mr. Addington's house was not 200 yards further, but on the other side of the way. I had never seen the deceased before that night, and did not then know that he lived at Mr. Addington's. When we got opposite to Addington's, Johnson asked deceased to go and get a pint of beer. The deceased said, "with all my heart." Holt White's-lane leads into the Chase-side road. We passed Addington's house along Chase-side road, leading to Holt White's-lane. When we got to the bottom of Holt White's-lane two persons passed us. I bade the gentlemen good night, and they bade me good night. They went on the Chase-side road on the opposite direction to that which we were going, and towards the Hollybush. We turned up Holt White's-lane. There are four roads where Holt White's-lane ends in the Chase-side road, and opposite to Holt White's-lane is Parsonage-lane. Pinnock's beershop is up Holt White's-lane. We then went up the lane, within nine or ten poles of Pinnock's beershop, when Johnson turned round. Johnson was then on the deceased's right, and I was on his left, next the ditch. I was not aware that he was going to turn round. When Johnson turned round, the deceased said, "where are we going?" and I said, "we are going home." We did not have any beer, and we came down the road back again about nine or ten poles. I was near the ditch on one side of the deceased, and Johnson on the

if he

other. Johnson then said to me, "I will be if Sam has not robbed him; I will be is not robbed." About half a minute after, while going down the road, Johnson put his foot out and threw the deceased down, and threw him on me, and I fell in the ditch. The deceased's head and shoulders fell upon my head. Johnson fell too. I did not remain under the deceased half a minute. My cap was on when I fell; and when I drew my head from under the man my cap was left behind. I felt for the cap, and found it under the side of deceased's face. I observed it was then wet with blood. On observing that, I said to Johnson, "what have you been doing? Don't hurt him-don't kill him." While I was down under the deceased Johnson was uppermost. While I was down I could not see what Johnson was doing. My first (observation was when I found my cap wet. When I spoke to Johnson he replied, "I have done him." When I got out of the ditch, I saw Johnson with his knees on the deceased's breast, and his hand on deceased's head. When I got into the middle of the road, Johnson got off the man and came to me. The deceased did not struggle, but 1 heard him make a moaning noise-a groaning. When Johnson came to me from the deceased he said, "You take this knife, and go and finish him, for I began him." (A thrill of horror ran through the court.) I said, "No, I won't." He had an open knife in his hand; Johnson then went up to the deceased, who was then holding his head up and say ing, "Oh, do not hurt me! Oh, do not!" Johnson said, "What will you give?" and the deceased replied "Anything." I could see

his face all over blood. Johnson then stooped down and cut his throat. (Another shudder ran through the court.) I heard a gurgling in deceased's throat. Johnson stayed by him about half a minute, and took a handkerchief out of the deceased's jacket. When Johnson asked me to go and finish him, and I refused, he shook his fist at me, and said, "Do not you say anything-do not tell anybody." The deceased's head and shoulders only were in the ditch, and his legs were in the road. I did not interfere, because I was afraid of my own life. Afterwards Johnson and I went down Holt White's-lane together. Johnson kept saying "Do not say anything to anybody-do not know anything about it-do not say a word." When we got into the Chase-side road, I wished to go home along the road; but at Johnson's request I went with him across the Cornish-fields, which would lead us the back way to Perry's house. Before we could get to Perry's house we had to cross the New River by another bridge. When we got over that bridge Johnson stooped down and washed his hands and the knife in the river. We went over the bridge near Perry's house, which he had crossed with the deceased; we then went in the direction of Giles's house, along the river side, where Johnson took out the handkerchief which he had taken from the deceased, and threw it in the river. The stream runs in a direction towards Giles's house. I went on only about 20 yards further, when I parted with Johnson and went home. Johnson also went across the bridge, homewards. The next morning at 10 o'clock I was taken into custody, as I was

going with my master's dray. When I was taken, my cap was examined, and I was questioned about it. I told them I had been carrying some meat for my master. In about an hour after, I made a full statement, such as I have made


Cross-examined.-The first I had to do with the deceased, in taking his arm, was after we passed Wagstaffe's. The pot-boy, when we came out, did not put the deceased under my care. Did not hear him say "For God's sake, Jack and Sam, take care of him, for he has nearly fallen into the river." He requested Sam to take care of him, and he left him in charge of Fare and Fare and Johnson. Wagstaffe told me I had better go home, for it would be better for me; he did not say he thought the man was going to be robbed, nor anything of that kind. The pushing about on the road did not excite any suspicion in my mind. When I went with them past Addington's, my object was to get some more beer; I knew the beerhouses were by that time shut up, but I thought we might call them up. It was a star-light night; there was no lamp near, but by the light I could see that my cap was bloody. The next morning I went out at 5 o'clock to my business. I was dreadfully shocked at what I had seen the night before, and I had no rest. When I saw my master in the morning, I said nothing to him or any one else until 10 o'clock, and then I was taken. I had my bloody cap on that morning. I was asked by the officers how the blood came there, and I said I had been carrying dog'smeat for my master, and that the blood came off it on my cap. The deceased was very much in liquor,

and any one person might have easily overcome him. Johnson did not leave us after we got round the corner of the Chase-side road into the lane, after passing the two strangers. Johnson lodged with

his father, near Mr. Giles's house. He was dressed in a black coat and trousers.

Mr. Edward Browning, a timber-merchant, stated that he was at Enfield on the 19th of December. About a quarter before 12 on that night he was passing the end of a road, leading to Holt White's-lane, when he saw two dr three men standing together up the lane, and two more further on towards the Holly-bush; he did not speak to them, nor they to him.

John Horatio Winn, a shopkeeper on Enfield Chase-side, stated, that on the evening of the 19th of December he was passing along the road, it was between 11 and half-past; at the bottom of Holt White's-lane he saw two men standing across the road. Did not say anything to them, nor they to him. There was a young man with him. Neither of the two men said "Good night."

William Wheeler stated, that he was a labourer at Enfield. On Thursday, the 20th of December, at half-past 5 o'clock, he was going to his work down Holt White's lane, and when he got about half-way down, on the left-hand side of the road, he saw the deceased's body in the ditch. It was lying on the face. The face was in the ditch, and the feet in the road. kicked it, thinking it was a man in liquor, and called to him several times, but got no answer, and, laying hold of the body, found there was no life in it. He then went to the watchman, in Parsonage-lane, and got a light. He


went with it to the body, and found on it a few halfpence and a small knife; there was a pair of gloves in the ditch, and some shot were scattered about. The left-hand pocket of the deceased's trousers was turned inside out. (The gloves were produced, which the witness identified as being those he found.) Where the body was found there was the appearance of a struggle, and much blood was on the ground. The landlord of the Sergeant public-house deposed to receiving the body of the deceased in his house at 20 minutes after 6 o'clock in the morning of the 20th of December. He accompanied the last witness to the spot where the body was found, and picked up a cap and two halfpence. About 70 yards from the spot he found a silk handkerchief, which he gave to Mr. Addington, who gave it to Mead.

John Mead, beadle of Enfield, deposed to apprehending the prisoners. On Fare he found four knives and some shot. Cooper denied all knowledge of the murder, and said the stains in his cap were occasioned by carrying some fresh horse-flesh. About an hour afterwards Cooper wished to tell all about it. That was at the George Inn, but witness refused to hear it. The neckkerchief of the deceased was bloody, and appeared to be stabbed through with a knife in several places.

Richard Watkins, a Bow-street patrol, stationed at Enfield, assisted the last witness to apprehend Johnson, who denied all knowledge of the murder. The witness produced a pair of trousers and a glove belonging to Johnson, on which were marks of blood. On the Wednesday following, he received a piece of cloth from Mr.

Penny, which appeared to belong to Johnson's trousers; it was stained with blood.-Mr. Penny produced the piece of cloth, which he had received from Richard Budd, a gardener, who deposed that he found it on the spot where the murder was committed; it was bloody. There was blood upon the ground, which was much disturbed, as if from persons struggling.-Mr. Addington, being recalled, identified the cap as being that which the deceased had worn. The piece of cloth did not belong to the deceased.

Thomas Boswell, a tailor, matched the piece of cloth to a rent at the bottom of Johnson's trousers; it corresponded, and he had no doubt of its having been a part of them. (The piece of cloth was examined by the Jury, and closely inspected by the Judges. Mr. Justice J. Parke intimated that he could not perceive the correspondence between the piece of cloth and the trousers. The Jury again examined it with the assistance of the witness, who fitted it to the trousers, and they were handed up, for the inspection of the Court a second time.) Boswell continued. The sewing appears to have been done by the same tailor, but there is not one stitch whole at present in the fragment. I think the sewing was done by the same hand, but cannot exactly tell in trousers worn as they are. The trousers are not of the same length in the legs, because a piece is gone all round from one of them. Having compared the legs, he said that there was not an eighteenth part of an inch difference between them, including the fragment. The stitches in both were sewn with silk, and he had no doubt that the piece of cloth

« VorigeDoorgaan »