[blocks in formation]

For the first heat they ran neck and neck all the way, which was won by Wilmington, by about half a head; and the second heat by Offa's Dyke, by nearly a length, owing, it is supposed, to a dog crossing the course, which, in coming in, somewhat checked the speed of Wilmington. For the third heat, they went off at the top of their speed, and ran neck and neck all the way round, the whipping from the distance post being very severe on both sides, but without procuring any advantage, which terminated in a dead heat. At the commencement, the betting was five to four on Of fa's Dyke, though he carried twentyone pounds more than his antagonist; after the first heat, five to four on Wilmington; after the third heat five to four on Offa's Dyke. After a lapse of about twenty minutes, they were a fourth time started, refreshed, and eager for the trial, and neither whip nor spur was idle as propellants to the victory. Again, a sheet would have covered both all the way round. The noble animals, with singular speed, laboured with all their strength to exceed each other, and their riders assisted them by every art and means within their power to command, but it was ineffectual for singular and interesting to relate, this struggle also terminated in a dead heat. When pulled up, and brought to the weighing stand, Offa's Dyke appeared to have suffered less from exhaustion than Wil mington, which induced Mr Allingham to resign the contest, and permit

Offa's Dyke to walk over the fifth heat.

CORK. This morning, about one o'clock, the mail-coach which left this city yesterday was attacked between Cashel and Littleton, by a band of armed ruffians. The passage of the coach was obstructed by a parcel of carts, fastened together with ropes, and the attack commenced on its arrival near the carts, when, we lament to state, one of the dragoon guards was shot dead, and one of the coach guards, a sailor, who was an outside passenger, and a serjeant of the Wexford militia, were desperately wounded. We are also sorry to state that another sailor is missing, supposed to have been murdered. Nothing could exceed the determined bravery of the guards of the coach in the resistance they gave these murderous villains, having succeeded in beating them off. Some sailors, passengers, who were not wounded, were very active in dis engaging the carts, when the coach proceeded to the next stage without any further molestation. The unfortu nate dragoon was killed while in the act of cutting the traces of the leading horses, which had been killed by the first discharge from the villains. It is not known how many of the miscreants have been killed and wounded, but from the number of shots fired at them, they must have suffered greatly.

20th.-Mad. Garnerin ascended in a balloon from the gardens of Tivoli. The assemblage of spectators was not numerous, though we remarked a number of personages of distinction, and among others, the King of Prussia, and the prince royal, his son. The balloon had been prepared in the large bowling-green of Tivoli. At four o'clock the wind blew with considerable violence from the N. E.: a small balloon of experiment was rapidly car. ried off. At half-past five, Mad. Garnerin went round the company with a

noble assurance. This young person is twenty years of age; she excited the lively interest of the spectators; she was clothed in a simple white robe, and wore a garland of flowers on her head. At six o'clock all the preparations being terminated, the young æropaut threw herself into the car, and rose amidst the acclamations of the public. The balloon was rapidly carried in the direction of the plain of Montseaux. The signal to cut the cords of the parachute was given by M. Garnerin, her father, by means of a boite, which exploded two minutes after her departure; but it would seem that she was too elevated to hear the report, as she was not detached

from the balloon till four minutes and a balf after her departure. It is impossible to describe the effect produced the moment the parachute was separated from the balloon; a general cry was heard, and applause soon burst forth from all sides, when the parachute was seen rapidly evolving, and the descent effecting majestically and without danger. The elevation was so considerable, that the descent occupied more than five minutes. She reached the ground without accident near Meudon,

CLONMEL Last Monday, William Harty, of this town, was employed by a person named Wright, a proctor, to serve processes for tithes upon some persons in the neighbourhood of Lowe's-green, and, it is supposed, for safety, took his wife and brother with him. When he arrived near the place, three men armed, one with a club, and two with blunderbusses, overtook and instantly fell upon him. They did not shoot him-that would have been the more humane kind of murder. They knocked him and his brother down with the butts of their blunderbusses, and the fellow with the club knocked down the woman, while the two fellows with the blunder.


busses battered Harty's skull to pieces. William Harty was not older than twenty-two; his brother, a good deal younger, made his escape, and got safe to Tethard. His wife, who in vain struggled to save him, and escaped these savages miraculously, took up the dead body, and conveyed it to the next cabin, where it was refused admittance; and with as little effect she sought to procure a car for hire, in order to bring the corpse to Clonmel. Captain Wilcocks being apprised of the occurrence, sent the police to the place. An inquest was holden by Mr Hill and Mr Ryan, coroners, the verdict of which, of course, was, Wilful murder against three per

sons unknown.-Not a man in the vicinage could be got to act as juror on the inquest, which of necessity was formed of the police.


THE FRENCH MUSEUM.-Yesterday the commissioners appointed by the allies to recover the objects of art, which are foreign property, appeared at the door of the Louvre with about fifty French labourers; admission was refused them, and the Museum was stated to have been locked by order of M. Denon, the director.-The keys were formally demanded, but M. Denon refused to deliver them. Upon this an order was given for the advance of about a hundred men of the 71st regiment from the Champs Elysees, where they were stationed, to the door of the Museum. When the troops ar rived, it was intimated to M. Denon, that if he did not quietly deliver up the keys, the whole building should be" shattered about his ears;" this had the desired effect, and the keys were given, with a protest, declaring that the allies entered the Louvre vi et armis. After entering, they proceeded directly to the gallery of Rubens, and commenced their operations, taking down every picture without distinc

tion. The workmen continued actively employed during the whole day; they completely stripped the walls as far as they proceeded.

25th. On Tuesday morning last, the remains of Burns were removed to the vault of the mausoleum now erecting to his memory in St Michael's church-yard of Dumfries.

The Duke of Wellington has caused eight pieces of brass cannon, taken from the enemy, to be delivered to Colonel Osterman, of the troops of Brunswick, in order to be employed in the monument which it is intended to erect to the memory of the late Duke of Brunswick.

During the late events, Marshal Ney said to the Swiss General Bachman, "Do you know that we fight for honour, while you fight for money "Yes," returned the Swiss,


we both fight for that which we have not.

The gallant Marquis of Anglesea travelled from his seat at Beaudesert, Staffordshire, to Bradford, Yorkshire, in one day last week, to make the preparatory arrangements for being supplied with an artificial leg, the ingenious invention of Mr Mann of that place. His lordship was received with every mark of joy by many of the most respectable inhabi. tants, and went through the Piece Hall, conversing familiarly with the manufacturers. He afterwards invited Colonel Kutusoff, a Russian officer, (who is under Mr Mann's care, at Bradford, having sustained a similar loss to his Lordship) to dinner.

THE DUCHESS OF CUMBERLAND.-• Since the arrival of her royal highness in this kingdom, she has completely adopted the English style of dress, thus adding much to the natural gracefulness of her figure, which is rather tall, and elegantly formed. Her royal highness appears to be about thirty-six years of age;

her features highly pleasing, and when she speaks, or smiles, they as

sume the appearance of much spright. liness and innate good nature; her hair is a light brown, and her complex. ion, of course, fair; in her manners she is extremely affable, and she pos sesses a considerable flow of spirits, with a mind highly cultivated. Her royal highness is niece to her majesty, and had been twice married before her union with the duke. She has at this time six children living, and has buried four.

Her present royal husband seems most affectionately attached to her.

A whale brought to Shields in the Lady Jane, from Davis's Straits, this year, filled casks which held 10,050 gallons. It is supposed to be the largest ever brought into that port, and at a moderate calculation is worth 1500%.


1st.-EMIGRANTS TO AMERICA.— Intelligence has been received, by late arrivals from Canada, of the entire dispersion of the colony founded by Lord Selkirk, in conjunction with the Hudson's Bay Company, on the River At siniboia, in the interior of the northwest continent of America. Disputes with the Metiffs of the country, a race of people between Canadians and Indians, inflamed the natural jealousy which the latter have always felt rela tive to agricultural encroachments on their hunting grounds in the interior, and compelled his lordship's governor to abandon the establishment which had been made. About 140 settlers were conveyed by the Canadian traders to Lake Superior, on their way to Canada, and the remainder are supposed to have gone to Hudson's Bay, with a view of finding a passage to Great Britain. The governor, Mr M'Donnell, and a sheriff also appointed by Lord Selkirk, Mr Spencer, were

[merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small]

9th. More than 1800 pictures and other articles have been moved from the Louvre; and the famous brazen horses of Lysippus, brought from Venice, to be yoked to the triumphal car of Napoleon, are going back to their old station, in the square of St Marc, apparently as a present designed to procure a welcome from the Venetians for their new master, the Emperor of Austria. The assembly of officers and soldiers without leave at Paris, excites the particular attention of the government. Seven of them (five of whom were disbanded) have been arrested for being at Paris without authority, and sentenced to three months imprisonment, and one for uttering seditious language is ordered before a council of war.

13th.-A melancholy accident took place at Waltham Cross. The Boston coach stopped there for a short time, when the horses suddenly turned into a low covered gateway with the coach, where there was no room to admit the passengers on the roof; the consequence was, that four of them were so completely pressed between the coach and the upper part of the gateway as actually to prevent the vehicle from going on. When the sufferers were

relieved from their unhappy situation one person was found quite dead, and the others were so much bruised, that their lives are despaired of.

24th.-ROME.-The official communication of the return of all our treasures of art from France excites here the greatest enthusiasm. People do not cease to praise the justice of those powers who contributed towards it, as well as the generosity of Lord Castlereagh, who has placed 100,000 facilitate the packing up and conveyfrancs at the disposal of Canova, to ance of these precious articles. Abbe Canova, a brother of the celebrated sculptor, and Abbe Marini, received from the French library the MSS. medals and stones taken from Rome. The French Museum, besides what it formerly possessed, has, besides, a valuable addition to the works of art, bought of prince Camillo Borghese. In order to make the museum at Paris the sole point of union of the finest monuments of antiquity, Napoleon forced his brother-in-law to sell his collection to him, and an imperial decree of April 27, 1807, fixed the conditions. This decree was preceded by strict examinations on the part of the French government, and commissioners, at the head of whom was Denon, who was sent to Rome to make an exact inventory of all the articles, and fix their price. Connoisseurs at Rome, among whom was Canova, declared the Borghese collection to be invaluable; however, he gave it an approximate value far above the twelve millions, at which Napoleon set the price.

BERLIN. To day at one o'clock P. M. arrived here, amidst the thunder of artillery and the ringing of bells, his Majesty the Emperor of Russia, in company with our King, who had received his august friend at Frede. ricksfeld.

26th.-WATERFORD.-Yesterday evening, about half past four o'clock, the cathedral of this city was discover.

ed to be on fire. It is probable that the fire had been burning an hour or two before, as the flames had then reached to a very considerable degree of violence. No service had taken place in it for some Sundays, as the outer roof was undergoing a thorough repair. When the fire was discovered, the bells were rung, the alarm spread throughout the whole city, and all the engines were brought to the spot as speedily as possible. The interior of the building was wholly consumed, and the damage is estimated at upwards of 10,000l.

29th. The Sir William Curtis packet sailed from Ramsgate for Ostend on Friday evening, the 27th, about nine o'clock, fine weather at that time, but afterwards becoming unfavourable, she did not arrive off Ostend until Sunday morning, too late to get in at that tide. In the afternoon a most severe gale sprung up at easterly, which made a great sea at the entrance of the harbour. At seven o'clock the light was hoisted on the east pier, which denoted a sufficient depth of water for the packet to enter; but Captain Falera being determined, if possible, to avoid any risk, delayed making for the harbour until nine o'clock, when the vessel struck on the ground, about 50 yards distant from the pier-head, and afterwards washed up against the piles on the west side: an attempt was then made to get the boat out, but she stove, and the vessel filled with water. At this moment Captain Falera attempted to fasten a rope to the piles that the passengers might by that means be assisted; but in endeavouring to accomplish this, Captain Falera was washed overboard by a tremendous wave, and it was with great difficulty that he got on shore and saved his own life. At this moment it is most probable that the unfortunate ladies were washed off the dcek also. The steward of the ship caught hold of Miss Carleton with one

hand, and with the other held by one of the piles, when the vessel heeled, and his leg was jammed against the piles, and he could keep his hold of the lady no longer, and she sunk and was seen no more. This man remained on the piles from nine until two o'clock in the morning, before he could be extricated from his situation-I believe that his thigh was broken. Colonel Kinnaird was one of the passengers, and got on shore from the piles consi derably hurt: several others escaped in the same way. Mrs Carleton (mo. ther of Lord Dorchester,) and her daughter, a young lady upwards of 20, and their female servant, unfortu nately perished. The body of Mrs Carleton (only) had been found at the time the Liverpool left Ostend; the young lady and female servant had not been picked up on Saturday last.

No endeavours were wanting either by the captain or mate to save the unfortunate passengers that perished, and their exertions on this melancholy occasion were highly meritorious, although not attended with the desired success. The captain's not endeavour. ing to make the harbour of Ostend in the morning, is universally acknowledged to be good judgment, as he would then have been sure to have lost hisssel. Nothing but a most severe gale coming on at the time he made the harbour, caused this dreadful accident.

To the very extraordinary circumstances of there being several feet less water at the pier head on Sunday than there was the day before at the same time, and the being deceived by the light being hoisted, under the idea of there being the same depth of water as usual, this dreadful accident may be chiefly attributed.

$1st. This morning, between nine and ten, an alarming fire was discovered in the works at the Mint. The flames were first seen to issue from the shaking-machine room, on the south of

« VorigeDoorgaan »