« VorigeDoorgaan »
Substitution of One Sound for Another
e as in end for u as in up
pe pu, te tu, ke ku, be bu, de du, ge gu
1. Texas is west of the Gulf of Mexico.
7. “Did you study your spelling lesson ?” said Miss Mund.
8. By November Gus Wells had all the butternuts and chestnuts stored in the shed.
1. Harry hurried to the busy factory.
4. The pony pulled the heavy buggy over the hilly country.
5. Mary Barry tild a fairy story to the primary class.
April showery, May flowery, June bowery!
-RICHARD BRINSLEY SHERIDAN.
1. The iron kettle was in the oven. 2. Many little beetles were on the wooden bench. 3. Stephen has driven eleven miles for the films. 4. The maiden will sweeten the beaten batter. 5. Thistles and nettles grow in the garden. 6. Seven pounds of mutton were eaten by eleven men.
7. The man at the helm was alarmed when he looked at the heavens.
8. Susan put the button and the cotton into the basket.
9. The little lad in the saddle tightened the reins of the bridle.
10. The kitten has eaten a dozen wheaten cakes.
The Sound of a as in among
This sound occurs only in unaccented syllables. In formal speech words containing e as in moment, o as in atom, and u as in circus are frequently pronounced with the short sounds of these letters instead of the sound of a as in among.
“the, preceding a word beginning with a consonant, as the book. The word a when unstressed, as a desk.
Webster, å, ě, o, ŭ
Funk and Wagnalls, a
Phonetic Symbol, ə pa, ta, ka, ba, da, ga ath, az, al, am, an, ang
algebra 1. Is Atlanta the capital of Georgia? 2. The infant was asleep on the sofa. 3. Rebecca lost her diamond necklace at the opera.
canopy alum column medium autumn action
1. The cadet saluted the lieutenant. 2. Does the Indian Ocean bound Australia ? 3. The principal awarded the medal to Nathan. 4. Thomas drives Mr. Bryant's special delivery wagon. 5. The Italian and the German went to Brazil. 6. Bering Strait separates Alaska and Siberia. 7. Lydia picked the verbenas, dahlias, and petunias. 8. The Erie Canal was built from Albany to Buffalo.
9. In the autumn Emma and Laura travelled from Indiana to Florida.
10. Caroline left her umbrella and her diary on the veranda.
11. Ada bought vanilla, marmalade, bananas, and lemons at the grocery.
12. Nora saw a white organdy dress and a maroon parasol in the merchant's window.